Thursday, October 29, 2015

Growing Up


[ photo: Gene Kelly in Little Girls of Rochefort ]

After telling my co-workers how stressed I was and didn't get how they weren't as worried as I was every day. They gave me a simple answer: the older you get, the less you worry about the details of work. 

As you get older, you will accumulate more things to care about, things that will matter more to you than data on spreadsheets. You will learn that the world won't collapse when things don't go right. Actually, in many cases, as you lose sleep about the minutiae, the solution will present itself tomorrow anyways.

I had always thought the answer was quite the opposite. That our lives should be centered on our jobs, that our work defines us and we should always strive for perfection. But as those wiser than me advised, our work really is important, but it is certainly not everything. We don't always have to take it so seriously. In fact, when we focus so much on the little things, we miss the bigger picture.

Here's to growing up and taking it easy.